Sunday, June 05, 2016

Toe-Up Socks ("Skimmer Socks," aka "no-show socks")

I am really excited because I forced myself to learn a new skill: Toe-Up Socks. Well, actually, this involved two new skills because I first had to learn "Judy's Magic Cast-on" in order to do this.

I've knit plenty of socks, but I've been really stuck in my ways knitting them all cuff-down. Seriously, I would always say "Ok, self: the next one I'll try toe-up," but I never got around to actually doing that. Well, not until the Skimmer Socks (no-show socks) pattern. I bought myself a new pair of white Peds shoes, and this free pattern would be perfect for non-slip no-show socks!

So, in the car, on the way to the zoo, I decided to learn this new cast-on technique (word of the wise, it is best to NOT learn new techniques while in the car!) with the cellphone in my lap and needles at the ready. I used this video below to help me:
 And...voila! Several increase rows in, it's starting to look like the tip of the sock. Success!
Yarn: Paton's Stretch Socks (colorway: Sugar)
Needles: size US 1.5 (2.5mm) Addi Turbo circular needles
Skimmer Socks (by Sheila Toy Stromberg)--Source from Ravelry Pattern Database
I'm doing the sole right now. It's working up mighty quick. I can't wait to have a finished pair.
I decided to go with an elastic blend cotton/wool so that it can do a little bit of stretching; the blend should make for a sock that isn't too warm. My only concern is that the yarn is on the thin side, so I hope the sock won't be too small, overall.

No comments: